CORPUS CHRISTI, TX – The Nationwide Climate Service is anticipating excessive temperatures as we speak within the triple digits for many of South Texas. Warmth Index Values will vary from 105° to 109° levels, with some places reaching 110° levels.
Scorching temperatures and excessive humidity will enhance the chance of heat-related diseases, together with warmth exhaustion and warmth stroke.
The Metropolis of Corpus Christi reminds residents a number of cooling facilities can be found to the general public.
The cooling facilities will likely be open till 6:00 p.m. as we speak.
Please see the listing beneath for facility names and addresses:
Ethel Eyerly Senior Heart 654 Graham Street 826-2330
Backyard Senior Heart 5325 Greely Drive 826-2345
La Retama Central Public Library 805 Comanche Avenue 826-7000
The Corpus Christi Regional Transportation Authority will permit people to trip fare-free upon telling their Bus Operator that they’re going to be touring to the closest cooling middle. For extra info, go to https://www.ccrta.org
The Metropolis’s swimming pools, splash pads, and the Bayfront Park Fountain are open with free admission as a cooling various. NOTE: All kids beneath the age of eight have to be accompanied and supervised always by an grownup age 16+.
Public Swimming pools:
Hours of operation range by location:
- Collier Pool, 3801 Harris Drive – Open 2:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Corpus Christi Natatorium, 3202 Cabaniss Parkway – Closed as a consequence of swim meet
- West Guth Pool, 9705 Up River Street – Open 2:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Greenwood Pool, 4305 Greenwood Drive – Open 2:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- H-E-B Pool, 1520 Shely Avenue – Open 2:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Oso Pool, 1109 Bernice Drive – Closed as a consequence of lifeguards out with COVID-19
- Lindale Park Splash Pad, 3133 Swantner Drive, Open 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Invoice Witt Park Splash Pad, 6869 Yorktown Boulevard, Open 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Manuel Q. Salinas Park Splash Pad, 1354 Airport Street, Open 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Bayfront Park Fountain
1309 North Shoreline Boulevard
Open every day from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Animal Care Companies can have on-call officers for calls regarding pets left outdoors within the warmth.
Ideas for maintaining pets secure in excessive warmth:
- Convey pets inside
- By no means go away your pet in a automotive
- Give your pet additional water
- Shield your pet’s paws from scorching surfaces
The Metropolis stays in Stage One of many Drought Contingency Plan. Residents are reminded to preserve water.
Warmth Security Ideas
Total, the very best protection in opposition to heat-related sickness is prevention. Keep cool, drink loads of fluids, put on cool clothes and monitor strenuous out of doors actions.
The Metropolis additionally want to remind everybody in regards to the precautions you’ll be able to take to cut back your threat of warmth exhaustion and heatstroke. The Texas Division of State Well being Companies advises:
- By no means go away anybody, together with animals, in a closed, parked car.
- Drink loads of fluids, however keep away from drinks with alcohol, caffeine, or plenty of sugar.
- Plan strenuous out of doors exercise for early mornings or evenings when it is cooler.
- Take frequent breaks when working outdoors.
- Indicators and signs of warmth sickness embrace dizziness, heavy sweating, nausea, complications, and muscle cramps. If indicators and signs start to emerge, transfer to a cooler location, relaxation a couple of minutes, and slowly drink a cool liquid. Instantly search medical consideration if circumstances don’t enhance and inform somebody to look at you.
- Often examine on the aged, the ailing, and others who might need assistance.
For extra info on Metropolis cooling facilities, go to www.cctexas.com/coolingcenters.